[arin-ppml] The role of NAT in IPv6

Gary T. Giesen ggiesen at akn.ca
Thu Apr 15 18:37:16 EDT 2010

I'd argue that the collective costs of implementing and supporting NAT
far outweigh the costs of more routing slots (though neither is a small
number, I'd argue NAT is at least an order of magnitude higher).

Also, IPv6 adoption, despite my best optimism, will be rather slow, and
IPv4 will be with us for some time to come. That gives router vendors
time to increase the size of their TCAMs, and ISP's time to upgrade on
their normal refresh schedules.

Enterprises will be the last to adopt IPv6 regardless of what we do,
should we hold up the show for them? Or should we take a leadership
position, show them that IPv6 can be done without NAT (and more
effectively and cheaply)?

GG