[arin-ppml] The role of NAT in IPv6

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Thu Apr 15 14:31:23 EDT 2010

On 15/04/10 10:21 -0500, Gams, Matthew D wrote:
>This assumes that just because you access the Internet you should be globally routable. I know it's too late to debate addressing schemes as IPv6 is already here but just because you have an insanely large address pool doesn't mean every toaster needs to have a globally unique address.

Frederick P Brooks, in his new Design on Design book, articulates something
that I've always strongly believed in. When discussing several key
components of a good design (not networking specific):

	Generality is the ability to use a function for many ends. It expresses
     the professional humility of the designer, his conviction that users
     will be inventive beyond his imagination and that needs may change
     beyond his ability to forecast. The designer should avoid limiting a
     function by his own notions about its use. When you don't know, grant
     freedom.

Protocol designers should not be thinking about the wisdom of addressing a
toaster. They have a different purpose. The same should be (mostly) true of
the RIR allocation process, and the ISP assignment process.

The debate about how addresses should be used should be done at the end
user or enterprise level. NAT will be used in IPv6, because many enterprise
and home users will deem that to be most appropriate for their users.
Those admins have the responsibility to secure their networks in
whatever way makes most sense to them.

But I feel that ISPs and network operators that NAT in front of their
enterprise, business, and residential customers are doing them a great
disservice.

--
Dan White