[arin-ppml] IPv6 /32 minimum for extra-small ISP

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Apr 14 17:07:13 EDT 2010

On 4/14/2010 1:52 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>> If you take a full unfiltered table without a default route, yes. This
>> is pretty basic for BGP.
>>

> I understand that. The issue is how many take a full table.

I think that years ago a lot more didn't take a full table.  But
dram is cheaper than paying a network admin to maintain a filter
table and so many sites nowadays haven't seemed to have heard
anything about the RADb or what it does, so filters created from
that database are more historical interest than anything else.
Without a valid and current routing arbiter it's a very labor intensive
process to keep a filter updated, and the community cannot seem even to
keep WHOIS updated properly.

I'm just crossing my fingers that the hardware vendors can keep
ahead of table growth.  Maybe it would have been better for Nvidia
or ATI to be the major router manufacturers instead of Juniper or
Cisco, since both those companies seem to have an allergy to large
amounts of high speed ram in their products.

Ted