[arin-ppml] IPv6 /32 minimum for extra-small ISP

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 00:04:01 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM,  <NOC at changeip.com> wrote:
>> The problem is that even if you got an extremely small allocation that
>> as soon as you advertise it, you consume the same amount of routing
>> resources on everyone else's BGP router on the Internet, that someone
>> with a larger allocation has who is advertising theirs.  Thus it is not
>> fair to base pricing solely on the amount of numbering.
> ARIN sets the pricing based on routing slots?  I thought ARIN was
> disentangled from the routing aspect of it.

ARIN does not guarantee routability of assignments. And ARIN does not
determine overall internet routing policy.  However, that does not
mean ARIN is  not entangled at all with routing aspects of IP
addressing or internet routing policy.    To  ignore routing, internet
stability considerations, and overall cost to the community, in making
address allocation decisions,  would be poor stewardship of the
resource.

It is not beneficial at all to minimize the cost of individual IP
addresses in a manner that  maximizes  overall costs for the greater
community requiring those addresses, of which addressing is just one
cost.

--
-J