[arin-ppml] IPv6 /32 minimum for extra-small ISP

Randy McAnally rsm at fast-serv.com
Tue Apr 13 14:25:53 EDT 2010

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net>
To: arin-ppml at arin.net
Sent: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:02:30 -0700
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] IPv6 /32 minimum for extra-small ISP

> The assumption has always been that if your an extra-small ISP that
> you obtain IP addressing from your LIR  (ie: upstream ISP)

ARIN made us give back that IP space to qualify for multihoming policy.  So
now when we need IP space we have to go direct to ARIN, thus we have a /22 and
a /21 and still qualify for extra-small pricing.  Try asking your upstream for
IPs when you already have direct assignments... it's not going to happen.

Furthermore, my gripe IS NOT WITH PRICING PER IP.

It is the fact that big multi-homed ISP can request a v6 allocation and see no
increase in fees (they pay only the bigger of the two, obviously their v4
space), yet a smaller multi-homed ISP requests v6 and doubles their yearly
fees because a /32 is the minimum.

I thought ARIN was encouraging the adoption of v6 for everyone, not just big
ISPs.

--
Randy
www.FastServ.com