[arin-ppml] ULA-C

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Apr 13 11:15:30 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2010, at 6:26 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>> If you can get the netops to sign off on eliminating things like the
>> multihomed criteria and the the minimum host count criteria which for
>> IPv6 /48's serve solely to  suppress the public route count, I'll
>> stand in support.
>>
> I think we'll eventually get [back] there. It's definitely worth the effort.

More power to you.

> The reason I think it must
> be unified is because if it is not unified, ULA-C will NOT be a successor
> to RFC-1918, it will become de facto GUA without the community's
> GUA policies.

Given the trivially available controls (both technical and legal) to
prevent such an occurrence, this means you anticipate dissatisfaction
with ARIN's GUA policies to a degree that results in system collapse
unless artificially propped up. If that's a more than a paranoid fear,
perhaps you should work on solving the problems that make GUA so
unsatisfactory and let ULA do the job ULA is supposed to do.

> A non-unified policy for ULA/GUA will lead to abuse of
> ULA as an end-run for GUA which is, in my opinion, an unacceptable
> risk.

I asked in a previous message and I'll ask again: why wouldn't the
combination of ISP route filtering and policy language that directs
ARIN to revoke ULA registrations in response to misuse as GUA space
fully resolve this alleged problem?

I think you're throwing up a smoke screen here. There are perfectly
reasonable solutions to this problem that don't require a unified
policy. You seem want a unified policy and seem intent on bending the
facts of the situation to get it, regardless of whether that serves
users' needs. That's what I call self-serving... not because you
personally profit but because it serves your unjustified sense of
righteousness.

Prove me wrong. Make an honest attempt identify solutions to the
perceived route-leak problem that don't unify the policies, and
compromise.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004