[arin-ppml] ULA-C

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Apr 12 22:33:07 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> The discussion was about whether RFC-1918/ULA provide a security
> benefit or could be accidentally advertised.

My mistake. I thought the discussion was about whether or not
accidental advertisements could pose a policy-level threat to Internet
operations, not whether readily cleaned negligible-impact accidents
were possible.

> I'm not opposed to ULA implemented in a non-harmful way.
>
> I am opposed to perpetuating the myth that it somehow enhances
> security.

Then it's fortunate that no one has proposed an ARIN declaration that
ULA is good for Internet security. Fortunate indeed that the proposal
on the table is merely to allow folks to register the ULA space they
use so that no one accidentally uses the same space, without the
onerous hoops and costs justifiably needed for the assignment and
allocation of GUA space.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004