[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 109: Standardize IP Reassignment Registration Requirements - Revised

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Tue Apr 6 17:46:35 EDT 2010

> From: Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 15:07:00 -0600
> To: arin ppml <ppml at arin.net>
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 109: Standardize IP Reassignment
> Registration Requirements - Revised
>
> With the renewed conversations regarding draft policy 2010-3 I thought
> it may be appropriate to remind everyone of the proposal that I wrote
> 109.

Honestly? I don't think that it's helpful at all and I mean that in a
"helpful" way. :-) We lose focus _a lot_ on the proposals at hand, both on
the list and through other "mechanisms". That has happened with this
proposal. I think that the spate of recent comments has helped to regain
that focus; this proposal is not truly addressing what it was intended to.
For that matter, I think that the ARIN should not get dragged into this
scrum and let competition be competition. Whois is inaccurate, you can
accomplish exactly the same thing using other, similarly easy, cheap and
perhaps even more accurate, means

Also, who will reach ARIN in an exigent circumstance, at 0500, on Sunday
morning to ask them to ask someone else for something that we should be able
to ask for related to internet security, personal safety or other valid
reason? I don't think that we should have to pay for that or any other
"service" to provide competition protection.

To be clear; not in favor.

Best Regards,

-M<