[arin-ppml] Comments on Draft Policy 2010-3: Customer Confidentiality

Wes Young wes at ren-isac.net
Tue Apr 6 16:10:53 EDT 2010

Yes. But if it's all obfuscated by the upstream isp, we still have to
go through the upstream to get to the downstream (unfettered access to
"last mile" contact information is how we meant it).

example: i have an address, I whois it and it comes back the ISP name,
but Verizon's contact phone number (as an example) and address. I have
to now jump through hoops with verizon to "get access" to their
customer. I may be able to share that information with verizon, I may
not. Either way, it add's a significant cost.

Or at-least that was my interpretation.

It is my understanding that the "database can be obtained" is valid,
my question is "will that data contain the last-mile information, or
whatever the up-stream throws in there"?

My perception was "no, it will not" given the clause:

"The customer's actual information must be provided to ARIN on request
and will be held in the strictest confidence."

given that ARIN will no longer warehouse this data (again, this is how
*I* read it anyway). Please correct me if i'm missing something
obvious though...

--
Wes
http://claimid.com/wesyoung