[arin-ppml] Comments on Draft Policy 2010-3: Customer Confidentiality

Aaron Wendel aaron at wholesaleinternet.net
Tue Apr 6 15:01:36 EDT 2010

Hi Wes,

Thank you for contributing to the discussion on Draft Policy 2010-3.

I've been contacted recently by several people who have expressed concerns
such as yours over this policy.  In all cases these people, such as
yourself, seem to be unaware of the ARIN whois structure or how this policy
changes it.  There are broad assumptions being made that this would do away
with the whois information or somehow "obscure" it and make life tough for
people like yourself.  Most respondents I've talked to have said that they
need to know who ARIN has allocated IP space to.  This proposal does nothing
to change the information that ARIN provides in a public format on who IPs
are allocated to.  It does not obscure any data currently available on who
has IPs from ARIN.

Since I will be presenting the proposal at the upcoming ARIN meeting I'd
like to get a better idea of what is perpetuating these misunderstandings so
I can present in a way that is understandable to all.  As it stands, the
policy is 2 sentences and does nothing to obscure any information that ARIN
currently reports on the allocations it makes.  If you could help me
understand what makes you think otherwise it would be a great help to me.
There is still time for me to change the wording of the policy before the
meeting in a week.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks for your time.

Aaron