[arin-ppml] The role of NAT in IPv6

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Apr 6 04:49:47 EDT 2010

> because I have 2 locations, one in NYC one in SFO. Running a
> private network link between them is more expensive than 2
> commodity internet links, I can't (today) expect longer than
> a /48 to pass through inter-AS boundaries... so I need (now)
> a /47.

Why would you want to run a national network when you have
only two locations?

> Look at Allstate Insurance that had, at last count +10k
> remote sites... a /48 is a single SITE, not a single ORGANIZATION.

Why would an insurance company want to run a national network?

> Note that none of the above colors the discussion about NAT
> nor internal numbering schemes related to ULA*, I was simply
> pointing out that it's entirely inaccurate to believe that
> 'Few Organizations will need more than a single /48'.

Those of us who believe that few organizations will need more
than a single /48 expect that most organizations will stick
to their knitting and buy network services from an ISP. In other
words the ones that need more than a single /48 will not be
interested in talking to ARIN.

--Michael Dillon