[arin-ppml] 2008-3 Support

RudOlph Daniel rudi.daniel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 21:36:52 EDT 2009

I think option (1) is an unnecessary complication which could make mince
meat of setting good policy and may be a good recipe for internal combustion
leaving staff with headaches on the way home.So I am in support of Option
(2) and make the AC the last port of call for claimants who may have
exhausted all other avenues to no avail. It sounds cleaner and better
stewardship of resources.

Rudi Daniel

Today's Topics:

>   1. Re: 2008-3 Support (John Osmon)

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 23:24:18 -0600
> From: John Osmon <josmon at rigozsaurus.com>
> To: "ppml at arin.net" <ppml at arin.net>
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] 2008-3 Support
>
> [...]
> > Here's how I conceive of the choice. We can 1) try to forge a general
> > policy governing merit claims, by creating an elaborate set of
> > organizational status classifications and merit assignment criteria; or
> > 2) establish a uniform but liberal set of rules governing access, charge
> > appropriate fees to deter inefficient or wasteful use, and let merit
> > claimants seek funding support from foundations, the government, their
> > members, industry, etc. when they are unable to afford those fees. That
> > is, the assessment of merit claims should be delegated to funders (who
> > are more in the business of evaluating the merit of applicants) and not
> > hardwired into (or carved out of) allocation policy.
>
> I like the idea of community networks.  That doesn't stop me from
> saying that I like Option 2) best of the two proposed...
>
> Policies are *supposed* to be general.  Staff can kick things up
> to the board that are important enough to warrant exceptions.  That's
> why we *have* boards -- to determine when we need to break the rules
> for the benefit of all.
>
> I want my "rule of law" to be based on the *intent* of the law -- not
> the *letter* of the law.
>
> I also want a pony.
>
> Chalk me up for option 2.

> End of ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 51, Issue 13

Rudi Daniel
Independent Consultants
e Business Implementation
http://www.svgpso.org