[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-7: Open Access To IPv6

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Sep 2 17:28:22 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Member Services<info at arin.net> wrote:
> Draft Policy 2009-7
> Open Access To IPv6
>
> Policy statement:
>
> 1) Remove “by advertising that connectivity through its single
> aggregated address allocation” from article 3 of section 6.5.1.1
>
> 2) Remove article 4 of section 6.5.1.1, “be an existing, known ISP in
> the ARIN region or have a plan for making at least 200 end-site
> assignments to other organizations within 5 years” in its entirety.

I SUPPORT this proposal.

Long-term concerns about the impact on the routing table qualify as a
"nice problem to have." If IPv6 doesn't get itself launched to a point
where its useful to the general public then we won't have any problems
with the long term impact on the routing table because we won't have
IPv6.

At the current lethargic rate of IPv6 uptake, the immediate $560 fee
and long-term expectation of a $2250/year fee is more than enough to
dissuade extraneous requests. When that changes, we can implement a
more restrictive policy.

Perhaps we can put a safety valve on the proposal so that if by some
bizarre happenstance 10,000 IPv6 /32 allocations happen without
further updates to the policy, the two removed lines are restored.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004