[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Sat Oct 31 13:35:22 EDT 2009

Lee Howard wrote:
> [...]

You can't.  It's also difficult to impossible to discover click
fraud from small operators or from organized crime that create trojan
programs that infect computers - the typical scenario is spurious
redirects to a web browser on an infected computer so the user of
the web browser is generating the clicks.

But, it doesn't matter much since the actual advertisers don't generally
contract with the web hosters - they contract with advertiser networks
(Google AdWords, etc.) who do the actual contracting with the websites,
and who also determine if the clicks are valid or not.  The advertiser
networks consider their logic for detecting click validity to be
proprietary, so at this point its basically impossible to know if
they are counting multiple clicks behind the same NAT device as
separate clicks or not.

In my experience, though, click-counts are mainly used by advertisers
as a way of attempting to beat the price down for advertising, no
serious advertiser pays a lot of attention to them.  Advertisers look
at their own revenue stream and if they spend money with an advertising
network like Google Adwords and they don't see a revenue increase, they
stop buying advertising.  Advertisers who want body counts use promotion
codes or printable coupons to get that.  Typically, the majority
of advertisers will see an increase once they start paying for
advertising, and that's all the advertising networks care about
anyway.

Ted