[arin-ppml] Post-exhaustion IPv4 policy

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 18:49:36 EDT 2009

William Herrin wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> William Herrin wrote:
>>
>>> 1. If I request a /16 and you tell me you only have a /18, what's to
>>> stop me from saying "Okay, give me the /18" and then two days later
>>> saying, "Okay, put me on the wait list for a /16."
>>>
>> The policy attempts to address that, in a deliberately vague statement that
>> "Repeated requests, in a manner that would
>> circumvent 4.1.6, are not allowed."  The idea, of course, is to give ARIN
>> staff leeway to use their excellent fraud detection skills, combined with
>> operational procedures that can be adjusted as needed.
>>

> Staff will be making such decisions under intense scrutiny. Any
> judgment they're forced to exercise will tend to be the most lenient
> the policy allows. Which is to say: no restriction on repeat requests
> at all.
>
> Giving staff discretion can be a good thing if done with appropriate
> checks, but you also have to give them a policy vehicle that validates
> and reinforces that discretion. In other words, it's better to say,
> "You can have 1 a day but staff can waive the requirement" than "you
> can have as many as you want but staff can limit you to 1 a day."

Understood.  Do you have any specific suggestions as to how we could
modify proposal 97 to codify a restriction, while still giving staff
leeway to make exception for anyone who is clearly not trying to bend
any rules?

>>> 2. How is giving me the /18 fair to the guy who is on the waiting list
>>> for a /17? There's no guidance in the policy as to how ARIN is
>>> supposed to build up enough addresses to satisfy that /17 request.
>>>
>> My take on this is similar to what Warren just posted.  Basically, if the
>> /17 holder will settle for a /18, he can change his request to be for the
>> smaller size, and he'll be in the list before you.  If he wants to hold out
>> for that /17 to be returned, he's welcome to.  But more than likely, he'll
>> go find his own /17 on the transfer market before that.
>>

> Most likely he'll take the /18 and then go find a bunch of /24's on
> the transfer market. Which defeats the purpose both of having a
> waiting list and of trying to build to aggregation. That's why it
> concerns me.

I don't believe that finding a bunch of /24s on the transfer market will
be allowed.  We'll find out more details soon when ARIN staff releases
their implementation plan, but the policy says that the recipient of
transferred space must "demonstrate the need for such resources, as a
single aggregate, in the exact amount which they can justify under
current ARIN policies."

Does that address your concern?

-Scott