[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-7: Open Access To IPv6 - Last Call

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Thu Oct 29 14:32:53 EDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Weyand [mailto:jweyand at computerdata.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:14 PM
To: Chris Grundemann; George, Wes E [NTK]
Cc: Owen DeLong; Member Services; arin-ppml at arin.net
Subject: RE: [arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-7: Open Access To IPv6 - Last Call

So then you are proposing that just because an ISP is small today, it should always and forever be stuck with the same upstream provider in an IPv6 world?

[weg] I'm not saying that at all. At its core, we're trying to modify the definition of what an ISP is, at least as it relates to whether they should get PI space. I'm simply saying that a small ISP should either be a) multihomed or b) large enough to have a credible plan to support 200+ customers over 5 years in order to justify PI space. Which provider(s) you choose to use and how often you change them is not really my concern. I'm not saying renumbering is not a barrier, but by definition we're talking about a network with less than 200 (or 100) end sites, meaning that it's less of an impact.

That makes it tough to negotiate better terms with that provider.
Or, even worse, if that provider pulls a Northpoint and pulls out of region or goes out of business the ISP has an even bigger problem.

[weg] Those both sound like a fantastic justification for not being single-homed, not for getting PI space. You're still in a world of hurt if your *only* ISP goes TU. Having PI space just means that you have an address block to route when you find another provider.

Even at the risk of allocating a /32 to Jason's basement (and remember, at some point, Jason still has to pay his ARIN fees so he probably is not doing this just for grins) this seems very anti-competitive.

For these business reasons I oppose adding a requirement for multi-homing.

Jim Weyand

This e-mail may contain Sprint Nextel Company proprietary information intended for the sole use of the recipient(s). Any use by others is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies of the message.