[arin-ppml] Proposal 98: Last Minute Assistance for Small ISPs

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 19:21:06 EDT 2009

Chris Grundemann wrote:

> PP98 applies to ISPs via initial allocations
> PP99 applies to end-users via initial assignments (specifically
> multi-homed end-users)
>

> I do not think that the policies should be merged.  I think that it is
> likely enough that some in the community will support changing the
> minimum for multi-homed assignments while not supporting the change in
> minimum for initial allocations - and vice verse - that the two
> concepts be discussed and debated individually.

Good point.  No argument here.

> IMHO:
>
>  (1) pp99 is ready to become a draft policy.
>
>  (2) pp98 should be simplified before becoming a draft policy.
> Something along the lines of:
>
> Replace the current section 4.2.2.1.1 with:
>
> 4.2.2.1.1. Use of /22
>
> The efficient utilization of an entire previously allocated /22 from
> their upstream ISP. This /22 allocation may have been provided by an
> ISP's upstream provider(s), and does not have to be contiguous address
> space. The organization must meet the requirement of efficient use of
> 4 /24s. For example, if an organization holds a smaller allocation,
> such as 3 /24s, from its upstream provider, the organization would not
> meet the minimum utilization requirements of a /22.
>
>  (3) And while we are on the topic, Is there any interest in lowering
> the minimum allocation for multi-homed ISPs?  It would be as easy as
> adding a line to section 4.2.2.2. Multihomed, like this:
>
> When requesting a /23, demonstrate the efficient utilization of a
> minimum contiguous or noncontiguous /24 from an upstream.
>
> If there is any interest in discussing that as well, I can submit a
> formal proposal...

I would support either or both of these changes.

We'll also need to consider how the minimum allocation and assignment
size interact with transfer policy (for example, whether they allow
legacy /24s to be transferred).  I understand that ARIN staff will be
publishing their transfer implementation plan soon, so I'll hold off on
making any specific suggestions until I see that.

-Scott