[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Wed Oct 28 18:56:37 EDT 2009

Keith W. Hare wrote:
> That's a fair statement.
>
> So, based on your belief that NAT66 and/or NAT64 are critical factors in IPv6 adoption, what policy directions do you propose?
>
> Keith

Thats not quite it. My opinion is that due to the current state of
nat64, the most likely scenario is dual stack, but with more and more
nat44, with market pressures wringing out inefficiencies until IPv6
succeeds in replacing ipv4 as the primary player.

I also do not believe many large end user networks will rush to adopt
ipv6 without it meeting their business needs and comfort levels.

I believe that policies that try to improve the general state of IPv4
during and after depletion should be worked on.

What I am interested in hearing is just how prevalent is the viewpoint
that nothing should be done policy-wise.

Joe