[arin-ppml] v4 to v6 obstacles

Lee Dilkie Lee at Dilkie.com
Wed Oct 28 15:34:58 EDT 2009

My comment on the subject, repeated from last year.

The only proper way forward is dual stack and the faster we achieve some
magic number (80%?) of dual stack penetration, the faster we can roll
out v6 only.

One good way for organizations like ARIN to help with dual stack is to
simply give out v6 addresses, free, to all current v4 address holders
and encourage them to roll it out. Or add a stick like "here's your free
v6, you have x years to roll out v6 to your customers or you loose your
v4"... not that I favour the stick, just tossing it out.

{flame proof underwear on}

-lee