[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Wed Oct 28 14:23:21 EDT 2009

Chris Engel wrote:

> For instance if you use 10.x.x.x which is pretty common choice for a private network space.... you can subnet the second octet using a /16 internally to control your network segments and then use the third octect to simply indicate the type of host you are assigning (printer,server,workstation, etc). Even with a plethora of address space available under IPV6 I can hardly envision an ISP giving a small/medium business the equivalent of a 10.x.x.x simply so it can conveniently organize it's ip address assignment.

Chris G. is quite correct.

But on closer consideration a /48 is roughly the subnetting equivalent
of a 10/8, mostly due to the /64 per subnet convention.

This isnt all that great an advantage.

Furthermore, RFC1918 is a form is non globally routable PI. To properly
replace that without NAT conceptually means many hundreds of thousands
more PI prefixes.