[arin-ppml] Proposal 98: Last Minute Assistance for Small ISPs

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Oct 27 13:57:08 EDT 2009

In a message written on Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:29:49AM -0500, Bill Darte wrote:
> minimum becomes /23 and remains so.  The purpose is to allow ISPs who
> have never been able to qualify for /20 allocations, to qualify under
> this policy for small blocks of address space.

This is the part of the proposal that has me the most confused.  It
seems to purposely target ISPs who do not interact with ARIN today
and attempt to make them deal with ARIN at the last minute.  I find
it likely most of these ISP's, given their modest needs, would only
get a single allocation of IPv4 resources from ARIN, ever.

I'm not quite sure I see how it is of assistance to these extra
small ISP's to make them jump through a hoop they are not familiar
with at all in order to receive a one-time, very small allocation
of IPv4 resources.

I would find it extremely helpful if someone could provide two or
three plausable scenarios where this policy would cause a benefit
greater than the work it introduces.