[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

Warren Johnson warren at wholesaleinternet.com
Mon Oct 26 23:11:48 EDT 2009

I am not an expert on the matter but I think ARIN lacks the authority
required to simply "take back" the various /8s doled out in the early days.
And even if it could put together some semblence of authority for this
purpose, it would likely fight a steep uphill legal battle during the
process.

Lacking the authority, it seems to me we need to provide them with an
incentive that is more interesting to them, than the potential of that IPv4
address space.  I have no idea what that would be.  Anyone?

Perhaps a rhetorical question but how would you propose getting back the
legacy /8s, doled out in the dozens back in the day.  Virtually none of the
owners, organizations like Cisco and HP, really need more than any other
company their size (i.e., a few /24s).  Then there are all the legacy owners
of /16s who aren't using a fraction of their addresses.  It is not even
difficult to identify the squatters thanks to a strong correlation with the
date of their arin whois record.