[arin-ppml] Proposal 99 -- IPv4 multihomed end-user minimum to /24

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Oct 26 19:55:45 EDT 2009

The following proposal has been sent to PPML before.  It is now on the
AC docket.  There
was, unfortunately, insufficient time to get it to the Dearborn
meeting for adoption discussion
outside of the petition process.

At this time, I would like to solicit any additional community
feedback regarding changes that
should be made to the proposal before asking the AC to place it on the
next meeting agenda
for adoption discussion.

Thanks,

Owen

 > TEMPLATE: ARIN-POLICY-PROPOSAL-TEMPLATE-2.0
 >
 > 1.      Policy Proposal Name: /24 End User Minimum Allocation Unit
 > 2.      Proposal Originator: Owen DeLong
 >

 > 3.      Proposal Version: 0.9
 > 4.      Date: 8/3/09
 > 5.      Proposal type: new
 > 6.      Policy term: permanent
 > 7.      Policy statement:
 >
 > Replace section 4.3.2.2 of the NRPM with the following:
 >
 > 4.3.2.2 Multihomed Connection
 >
 > For end-users who demonstrate an intent to announce the requested
space in a
 > multihomed fashion to two or more distinct providers, the minimum
block of IP
 > address space assigned is a /24. If assignments smaller than a /24
are needed,
 > multihomed end-users should contact their upstream providers. When
prefixes are
 > assigned which are longer than /20, they will be from a block
reserved for that
 > purpose so long as that is feasible. End-users may not receive a
block
 > smaller
 > than /22 under this policy if they already have resources from ARIN,
 > except as
 > specified in section 4.3.6.2.
 >
 > Renumber the existing paragraph under the 4.3.6 to
 >
 > 4.3.6.1 Utilization requirements for additional Assignment
 >
 > Add the following paragraph 4.3.6.2
 >
 > 4.3.6.2 Replacement assignments for small multi-homers
 >
 > Any end-user that possesses an assignment smaller than /22 under any
 > part of
 > section 4.3 shall not be able to get an additional assignment unless
 > they agree
 > to return all existing assignments within 12 months of receiving a
new
 > assignment.
 > The new assignment shall be sized to accommodate their existing
 > utilization in
 > addition to their justified additional growth space under section
4.3.6.1.
 > The common cases for this are expected to be a /24 returned after
 > receipt of a /23,
 > or a /23 returned after receipt of a /22.
 >
 > 8.      Rationale:
 >
 > This policy attempts to incorporate the recent and historical
discussions of
 > policy for multi-home users on PPML. The intent is to provide as
fair a process
 > as possible for multi-homed organizations down to the smallest
feasible size
 > while still preserving some control over growth in the routing table.
 >
 > It has been repeatedly noted that /24 multi-homers exist today with
PA space