[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Mon Oct 26 11:18:59 EDT 2009

Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]
That's a good question, because $10/address is pretty clearly "too low"
for the mechanisms I believe will be the only real source of IP
addresses (companies with large holdings who don't really need to use
them behind their firewall, but for whom there is a real transition cost
to renumbering tens of thousands of machines who  will use the money to
renumber their IPv4 to RFC1918 space *and* to finish whatever IPv6
transition they might have started, or at least use that promise of
money to get the CEO and/or CIO to sign off on the IT department's plan
to spend time/money that way.)

And we most certainly do need a way to free up some additional IPv4
space, as it has been clear for over a year now that the transition was
started too late by almost everyone.

Matthew Kaufman