[arin-ppml] Fairness of banning IPv4 allocations tosomecategoryof organization

Warren Johnson warren at wholesaleinternet.com
Sat Oct 24 17:46:29 EDT 2009

I imagine all kinds of creative technical stuff is going to happen after
run-out.  One of them would be a nice apache module that takes one click to
install and lets you have multiple certs easily on one IP.

Look, I'd prefer to see a market decide which uses of IPv4 addresses are
worthwhile and which are not. Markets are generally good at that sort of
thing. Nevertheless, the financial reality is that the IPv4 Internet won't
stop growing just because the free pool runs out.
Prudence suggests that we should consider other ways to tear IP addresses
loose from low-value applications so that they can be available for
high-value applications. You know, just in case that market thing doesn't
pan out.

And the lowest of the low-value applications is any that can be readily
accomplished without consuming a public IP address.

Regards,
Bill Herrin