[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Oct 23 08:53:35 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Joe Maimon <jmaimon at chl.com> wrote:
> Only in a worst case scenario where neither transfers or returns are meeting
> even a portions of needs and ipv6 is not obviating ipv4 need should any
> attention be given to reclaimation of non-abandoned resources.

Hi Joe,

Then before we talk about what a draconian address recovery policy
looks like, perhaps we should consider the circumstances under which
such a policy should be employed.

My thought is that a darp should be activated when all of the
following conditions are met:

1. IANA has allocated the last /8 to an RIR
2. ARIN is unable to meet a qualified request for a /18 or larger.
3. The BoT determines that blocks of ARIN-managed IP addresses of /24
and larger are not generally available for purchase via the transfer
market for less than $10/address.

Your thoughts?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

>> As for changes to the policy right now to try to slow the rate of
>> consumption, frankly it's far to late in the day. We'd waste time and
>> acrimony to gain months if we're lucky.
>>
>> That's my 2 cents.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bill Herrin
>>

> I think we have one more real opportunity to advance depletion polices from
> start to implementation before depletion.
>
> Joe

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004