[arin-ppml] Post-exhaustion IPv4 policy

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 22 18:12:05 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> William Herrin wrote:
>> The address market strategy might work. Ought to work. But we should
>> probably make some contingency plans.
>
> Have you looked at proposal 97, Waiting List for Unmet IPv4 Requests?  I'd
> be interested in your feedback on whether this would be helpful or not.

Scott,

It seems like a reasonable place to start. I have two concerns:

1. If I request a /16 and you tell me you only have a /18, what's to
stop me from saying "Okay, give me the /18" and then two days later
saying, "Okay, put me on the wait list for a /16."

2. How is giving me the /18 fair to the guy who is on the waiting list
for a /17? There's no guidance in the policy as to how ARIN is
supposed to build up enough addresses to satisfy that /17 request.

This also doesn't address how ARIN is going to get the addresses to
fill the waiting list in the first place, but I gather you intend that
to be a separate policy issue.

#1 is probably not too hard. Just say that so long as anyone is on the
wait list, 1 year must elapse between requests from any single org for
IPs. Favor those with patience: a guy on the wait list for 8 months
when his request is filled waits only 4 more months before he can make
another request.

No answers jump out at me for #2. FIFO is just as bad or worse.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004