[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu Oct 22 16:12:14 EDT 2009

Joe Maimon wrote:
> 2009-8, the latest in a number of attempts to deal with the upcoming
> depletion appears to show a community still divided.
>
> This raises for me the underlying question and I would appreciate any
> feedback.
>
> Are you in favor of changing anything at all or can you think of no
> better course of action than to continue exactly as is now?
Who is more likely to sue, whine, complain, or otherwise make a stink:
A) Someone who can justify a /18, knows that a /18 worth of space or
more is still available, and is told they can't have that much space
even with the justification because rationing is in effect to ensure
that other requesters can also have smaller allocations fulfilled; or B)
Someone who can justify a /18, knows that there's no longer a /18 worth
of space left to allocate because it is all gone, and is told they're
out of luck.

As someone who's dealt with small children and a diminishing supply of
cookies, I can tell you that showing them the empty box of cookies works
way better than telling them they can only have one each tonight (even
though last night they could have two) just because we're down to only 5
left.

Matthew Kaufman