[arin-ppml] [a-p] Fairness of banning IPv4 allocations

Cliff cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Fri Oct 16 14:56:28 EDT 2009

Michael Dillon wrote

.....>

> If this ISP had non-VLSM gear, then a /16 would not work and
> a class B address block would also not work. They would require
> 200 or so class C blocks. You cannot subnet a class B address
> block into smaller blocks. That's one benefit of VLSM where any
> /16 can easily be subnetted into /24 blocks or any size you wish.

I'm pretty sure even my old Xenix system would subnet Class Bs down to a Class
C.  Some of the older stuff wouldn't subnet a class C but almost everything
could use the subnet mask so you could get 256 (254?) Class C subnets from a
Class B.

see http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5033673.html

Cliff
--
Cliff Bedore
7403 Radcliffe Dr. College Park MD 20740