[arin-ppml] Using fees to encourage route aggregation

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 22:14:29 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 8:32 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 7:26 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
..
> One ARIN policy problem that's turning this into an IPv6 swamp is the
> "or shorter" part. Every time ARIN hands out a /40 they've effectively
> handed out 256 disaggregable /48's. As a community we'd be far better
> off if everyone who could justify more than a /48 got a /32 from the
> /32 blocks instead.

Agreed,  this  may be quite a mess.
It  should be  _either_  /32    or shorter, if more than 1 /48 is  justified,
or  /48,   if   a  /48 is sufficient.

There should be no such thing as getting a  /40  from the  /48 blocks.

That does basically begin to defeat any point of having separate
ranges that /48s  are allocated from,   other than having a way to
stop in advance someone
with a /24  from generating    16,777,216  /48 announcements,  that is.

Perhaps  methods of   filtering  based on number of announcements per
AS will become popular  in the V6 internet...

E.g.  filtering to  15 prefixes  per AS,   and  discarding entries
beyond the 15th, or selecting a previously accepted entry to replace
(if prefix of received announce is shorter  than the shortest prefix
of a  previously accepted item).

Then and there  (however)  ISPs  might seek to get more ASes  for TE purposes.
Might want to start thinking about expanding the ASN field to   128 bits <G>

--
-J