[arin-ppml] Using fees to encourage route aggregation

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 15 19:45:21 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> The RIRs should focus on allocation policies that meet the needs of the
> community and leave routing issues to those that run routers and
> the IAB/IETF/IESG/etc.

Owen,

The notion that decisions made at the allocation policy level don't
determine the shape and nature of the routing issues is just plain
silly. I wag my finger at you.

Current *ARIN* routing policy is that anyone in the ARIN region can
disaggregate any way they want and the rest of us will live with it.
This isn't written anywhere, yet it's one sum effect of many other
things that are. I'll break it down for you if you need, but I suspect
you already understand how the pieces fit together to bring about that
result.

Personally I think preventing disaggregate filtering and reassembly is
a *bad* ARIN policy. I'd like to see it change. In fact, I'd like to
see ARIN actively seek to *empower* disaggregate filtering and
reassembly for whatever fraction of the DFZ participants choose to do
so.

> The RIRs role is NOT to afflict routing policy with their judgment of how it
> should be done.

Yet with each decision, we do. Such is the nature of addressing policy.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004