[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 route aggregation

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 19:38:29 EDT 2009

David Farmer wrote:
> I do believe it is important to deal with IPv6 route aggregation and
> soon, because I also agree with Scott that "there isn't a lot of need
> for doing so just yet".  But that is because the IPv6 toothpaste is
> still mostly in the tube.  So while maybe we don't need it just yet,
> we can't wait until we actually need it, it may be to late to
> implement anything then.
>
> However, even with more and more IPv6 coming out of the toothpaste
> tube everyday, I think we are better off in IPv6 than we are currently
> in IPv4.  With IPv6 there is simply just more room to work with.
> Which allows for a generous but limited set of allocation sizes from
> the RIRs, with /32s for most ISPs and larger for really large ISPs.
> With /48s from the RIRs for multihomed PI end-user assignments, or
> /48s, /56s, /64s, or /128s to end-users from providers for PA
> assignments.
>
> So today for IPv6 ARIN provides /32s or greater for PA allocations
> from a set of ranges, the /48s or greater for PA end-user space from
> another range (probably set of ranges in the future, but only one
> range so far), and there several other special purpose ranges with a
> /48 allocation/assignment sizes, this creates up a pretty reasonable
> set of filtering policies that can be implemented by the operator
> community.

> If ARIN can maintain allocation and assignment policies that segregate
> the types of allocations and assignments into separate documented
> ranges I think it will be possible for the operator community to
> maintain reasonable routing policy and filters to implement their
> chosen policy.

Agreed.

> I believe the General Purpose ranges, along with the Critical
> Infrastructure and maybe the Exchange Point Micro Allocation ranges,
> should make up most of ARIN region's contribution to the mythical
> global route table.
>
> An idea I've been kicking around is a class of end-user assignments
> not intended for routing in the mythical global route table, but for
> things like VPNs, and other private network needs, not necessarily
> intended to have global reachability, but that needs global uniqueness
> and reverse DNS.  Some of you say use ULA for that, but ULA only
> provides statical uniqueness, not the guarantee of uniqueness that an
> assignment authority can, and since there is no assignment authority
> for ULA, authoritative reverse DNS is not possible. This would be
> similar to NRPM 6.10.2 but for end-users and not ISPs, since
> Micro-allocations for Internal Infrastructure are restricted to
> "Organizations that currently hold IPv6 allocations".  I'd rather not
> debate the merits of this idea now, but wanted to provide an example
> that illustrates how ARIN policy can and should work with and enable
> good routing policy.

Sounds like ULA-Global (which I supported).

> I'm not sure how many operators currently filter the Internal
> Infrastructure Micro Allocation range 2001:0506::/31. ARIN policy
> doesn't require anyone to do so, but by having it as a separate
> documented range ARIN policy makes it possible for operators to have a
> routing policy that filters it if they so desire.  Whereas if it were
> not a separate documented range, it would probably be nearly
> impossible to filter these allocations.
>
> So currently the main policy tool that ARIN, and the other RIRs have,
> have that influences and enables routing policy is to create
> classifications for allocations or assignments and to put them into
> documented ranges.  So I believe we need to remember that RIR policy
> has a responsibility the consider and implement at least this part of
> routing policy.
>
> So lets think about applying this to the IPv6 policies on the table
> right now;
>
> 2008-3 Community Networks IPv6 Assignment - It is probably kind of
> late in the process for this, but maybe it would be a good idea for
> these assignments to come out of separate documented range.

Do I recall correctly that ARIN staff said they would do so, even if not
specifically required by policy?

> 2009-5 Multiple Discrete Networks - Should those allocations come out
> of a separate documented range?

No.  These allocations are identical to other General Purpose
allocations, except that an organization with multiple networks may have
one for each network.

> 2009-7 Open Access To IPv6 - One of the things we are doing is
> removing the requirement to advertise a singe aggregate of an
> allocation. Rather than eliminating the restriction all together, it
> might be better from a routing policy point of view to create a
> separate documented range without the requirement to announce an
> aggregate.  Maybe it is not unreasonable for this to have an extra fee
> associated with an allocation out of this block too?  (Fees are not
> directly a policy issue, but it could be a recommendation that the
> Board consider an extra fee in this case.) I have heard some valid
> reasons for some networks to not announce an aggregate of there IPv6
> allocation, but I still believe most network can and should announce
> an aggregate.  Maybe we shouldn't through the baby out with the bath
> water on this one.  Creating a range for allocations without the
> requirement for announcing an aggregate would allow operators to have
> a routing policy to require it for the vast majority that can and
> should announce an aggregate.

This seems like unnecessary complexity to me.

> Comments please, and please bend my ear in Dearborn next week on this
> issue too.

Looking forward to it!

-Scott