[arin-ppml] Fairness of banning IPv4 allocations to somecategoryof

tvest at eyeconomics.com tvest at eyeconomics.com
Thu Oct 15 12:29:32 EDT 2009

On Oct 15, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]

What part would you like people to comment on -- your premises, the
idea itself, or your recommendation that it not be adopted at this
point?

1. The very notion of justifying a much more restrictive routing
policy (even in part) in order to make it easier to have a more
liberal address trading regime -- for IPv6 no less -- is both deeply
misguided and absolutely self-defeating.

2. The policy idea itself is fatally ambiguous. Are you suggesting
that network operators embrace this plan voluntarily, or be subjected
to it by some external authority? The membership of this mailing list
includes the vast majority of ARIN address-holding network operators,
who typically have no problem at all speaking up when they like a
policy proposal -- so if it's the former, then the silence is your
answer. Don't let it make you feel special however -- silence is the
same response accorded to all policy ideas that meet with zero
enthusiasm. And if imposition by fiat is the plan, then this is the
wrong forum for promoting it.

3. Who sets the fees? Who collects the fees? How would they be
distributed? Who counts the level of de-aggregation, where, using what
methodology? If the routing service providers themselves, how would
they arrive at a mutually agreeable price/distribution? Why would this
be any easier now than in the past, c. 1993, 1995? If anyone else, why
should routing service providers abide that imposition when it's their
infrastructure that's being encumbered? Even if all of the above
questions can be answered, what would prevent the routing fees from
becoming an increasingly artificial and arbitrary drag on the
Internet's growth potential, just as fixed international telecom
settlement rates ultimately came to be a deadweight impeding the
extension of more affordable communications services to more potential
telecom services users?

4. If the adoption of any of the above would involve or require
decisions made by any less that 100% unanimous acclaim by all network
service providers (at all times into the indefinite future), what
would distinguish this idea from any of the competing sustainability
proposals that you have consistently criticized (e.g., capital
infrastructure-related eligibility criteria, a.k.a. "needs-based"
allocation requirements)?

5. The closing point "not recommending" the adoption of the idea is
excellent, but it should stand alone, without any further
qualifications.

TV