[arin-ppml] Fairness of banning IPv4 allocations to some categoryof organization

Christopher Morrow christopher.morrow at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 22:56:48 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Craig Finseth
<craig.finseth at state.mn.us> wrote:
>   I don't think anyone is quite insane enough to suggest putting power
>   meters on the public Internet.  Yes, a smart grid will require
>
> You'd be surprised, then.  I've seen plans that effectively wind up
> doing just that.

google's powermeter thing actually...

I think the salient point in Seastrom's note though is that if you put
together a 'private' network today, you will either plan for
interconnection to business partners now (use globally unique address
space) or suffer some horrendous renumbering pain (or double nat hell)
later on.

Larger power folks may not see this now, but ... as Rob said, just
wait until someone points out the SCADA network security implications
of what they did.

-chris