[arin-ppml] Fairness of banning IPv4 allocations to somecategoryof organization

John Schnizlein schnizlein at isoc.org
Tue Oct 13 16:01:43 EDT 2009

The point that seems to me to be missing from the commentary in this
thread is that the argument Milton and the ITU "experts" make about
management of IPv6 addresses based on issues with IPv4 addresses is a
classic non sequitur fallacy.  Because of the huge increase in the
size of IPv6 addresses, conservation of address allocation is not the
issue it is with IPv4 addresses.  Arguments about relative scarcity,
allocation efficiency, recovery, and transfer that are contentious
with IPv4 addresses simply do not apply when there are so many IPv6
addresses.  The technical issue of conserving routing entries in the
default-free zone is still relevant, but plays little or no part in
the ITU arguments.

My impression is that the ITU is "fighting the last war".

John