[arin-ppml] Restricting IPv4 allocations by device type

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 16:01:44 EDT 2009

My iPhone is definitely a workstation, and sometimes a router/server as
well.  But what about my previous phone, that was incapable of providing
a "general-purpose computing service", and limited to a handful of
functions "embedded" into it by the carrier?

Such definitions are hard to get exactly right.  And there are more
devices out there, such as not-quite-smart phones, than there are IPv4
addresses remaining.  (A quick search indicates there are about twice as
many total handsets, globally, as remaining IPv4 addresses).  So, a few
large requests, from any number of sources (carriers, in this example)
could easily exhaust the remaining IPv4 space.

Given the large variety of different potential sources of
run-on-the-bank early exhaustion, I am currently of the opinion that
attempting to narrowly define which classes of devices are eligible for
IPv4 addressing will be ineffective in preventing such a run.  In fact,
attempting to place restrictions could encourage applicants to apply
early, to get in before the new policy.

At some point in the near future, we're going to hit the point where
IPv4 addresses are no longer freely available from the RIRs.  At that
point, the transfer and "leasing" markets will take over, and behavior
will switch from "addresses are free" to "IPv4 addresses cost money"
activities.  In my opinion, the ability of policy to significantly delay
that switch is quite limited.  The best we can hope for is an orderly
and predictable transition.

-Scott