[arin-ppml] Fairness of banning IPv4 allocations to some categoryof organization

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 01:04:10 EDT 2009

If a special rule will be considered, it should be done expeditiously.
It may even be too late to get any policy in ahead of an (unforseen)
large allocation request..     If they were considering it at all,   I
would expect them to now be rushing to get their request written and
submitted, in response to seeing this  very discussion.

RIR policy development is slow, compared to how long it might take a
smartgrid initiative  (or other unforseen requestor) to get an app for
massive V4 space  blocks written.

>   I don't think anyone is quite insane enough to suggest putting power
>   meters on the public Internet.  Yes, a smart grid will require

I really would not bet on nobody being that insane. If putting meters
on the public internet reduces costs for the actor contemplating it,
it will probably happen.
Still..  security may be a bigger sticking point than addressing here.

In 10 years, will  "DoS attack",  mean the event that occurs when a
script kiddie exploits a TCP stack bug in  power company's smartgrid
meter attached to the datacenter mains, and  flashes the firmware with
worm code that forces   power service disconnect  (quick power cycle)
at random intervals?

I hope not, but can't say.

In terms of policy  "embedded device"   seems like a good point to
identify in policy for denying massive V4 allocations.  We certainly
don't need need to be writing another policy in 6 months when
technology X   in industry B  is in a similar position.

--
-J