[arin-ppml] Fairness of banning IPv4 allocations to some categoryof organization

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Oct 7 12:37:21 EDT 2009

<michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:

> The point is that we have a REAL shortage looming of IPv4 addresses
> and that network operators are not yet ready to use IPv6 addresses
> as a substitute. That is a genuine shortage of supply, and I believe
> that it is justification for policies which specifically target
> new entrants. Whether the policies only target smart utility
> networks, or whether they go further and target any new entrants,
> I think that there is sufficient reason to think that such
> policies would pass muster.

The heated discussion about a Smart Grid requiring large amounts of IP
addresses and potentially being refused IPv4 addresses is one which made me
smile. Watch how things are going to get hotter as fewer IPv4 addresses will
be available.

Having now spent more than 2 years speaking personally to hundreds of people
about getting their organisation to embrace IPv6 ASAP, and being told that
there's still plenty of time and that the pain level isn't high enough for
them to even think about it, reading this week's messages made me smile.

Talks of banning IPv4 allocations to some category of organisation remind me
of the old, pre-internet Telco days. I am absolutely astonished that we're
even discussing this! What we are witnessing here, is regression.
It's going to hurt, and a lot faster than you think, if proper leadership is
not shown very soon. By that, I mean, roadmaps, strategic and risk analysis,
and a cost of:
(1) how much will IPv6 implementation cost region-wide
(2) how much will *lack* of IPv6 implementation cost region-wide

Kind regards,

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html