[arin-ppml] Straw poll on special policy for electric energy industry

Mikel Kline mkline at segainc.com
Tue Oct 6 10:33:26 EDT 2009

I think that most electric utilities are much smarter than they appear to be
getting credit for in this thread; even though this may be a newer evolution
for them.  Most utilities in North America are becoming very much aware of
these addressing issues as a result of Critical Infrastructure Protection
regulations and the implementation of mandated cyber security regimes.  Our
clients are looking at IPv6 as the natural course of development rather than
IPv4.  Many already support dual stacks on their networks today.

I am very much opposed to this Chicken Little approach to a special policy
that bans public access to utility companies for Smart Grid applications.
It's unnecessary and unduly discriminatory.

I believe that we'll run out of IPv4 addresses long before the Smart Grid
applications become a widespread consumer of public IP addresses.

<returning to lurk mode>

Mikel Kline
Sega Inc.