[arin-ppml] Straw poll on special policy for electric energy industry

Robert E. Seastrom ppml at rs.seastrom.com
Mon Oct 5 21:07:17 EDT 2009

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> writes:

> I cannot understand why PGE would even want
> to apply a public IPv4 OR IPv6 number to my home meter
> when they can make all the private IPv4 numbers they need.

Whether PGE falls into this category or not is outside the scope of
this discussion but there is a compelling case for globally unique
addresses on power meters - outsourcing of bill generation and
collection.  It's also not uncommon for a utility to have a
sufficiently large number of meters that they won't all fit in
10.0.0.0/8 even assuming really optimistic subnet engineering.

-r