[arin-ppml] Straw poll on special policy for electric energy industry

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Mon Oct 5 18:26:18 EDT 2009

On 05/10/09 22:50 +0100, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

>This is just a question to see what people think about creating a
>special policy that applies to companies wishing to provide
>infrastructure for the electric utility industry Smart Grid.
>
>Basically, the situation is this as described by Richard Shockey on the
>IETF list:
>
>   Myself and others are deeply concerned by how this effort is
>developing.
>   There is no current consensus on what the communications architecture
>of the
>   SmartGrid is or how IP actually fits into it.

A bigger issue to me is what security protocols and processes the smart
grid will use. While trying to research that topic, I found out that that
NIST has been charged with developing those security processes. I tried
emailing them a few months ago to get more information, but have not been
successful in getting a response.

It may be there's a link somewhere to all the protocols they're developing,
and I'd be happy if that were the case.

>Basically, what I am suggesting is that we introduce a special policy
>that
>bans the Electric Utility industry from receiving any IPv4 addressing at
>all,
>either direct ARIN allocations or ISP assignments, if those addresses
>are intended
>for any kind of Smart Grid application. This ban would also apply to
>third parties
>and subcontractors who might be operating components of the Smart Grid.

I think at this point shedding light on the networking development of the
smart grid and how we can participate and advise is the best use of our
resources.

Which IETF list is this discussion on?

--
Dan White