[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 103: Change IPv6 Allocation Process - revised

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Fri Nov 20 13:36:02 EST 2009

    103> Q. What if I don't want to accept /56 routes for
    103> single-homed users?

    103> A. This policy proposal intentionally and fully places
    103> backbone routing policy in the hands of the ISPs who operate
    103> the Internet's "Default-Free Zone (DFZ)," colloquially known
    103> as the Internet backbone. The author expects that some of
    103> the allocations, especially some of the single-homed
    103> allocations, *will not* be routable on the public
    103> Internet. When we hold a general expectation that all of
    103> ARIN's allocations will be routable, we effectively mean
    103> that ARIN decides what the Internet routing policy will
    103> be. That's precisely the role this proposal removes from
    103> ARIN's hands and restores to the ISPs.

HERE! HERE!

IPv6 explicitely supports and encourages multiple prefixes per
interface, so it's entirely reasonable that some "multihomers" will be
happy to do so using several PA from each of their ISPs.
The problem has been --- what address space to use internally,
and this policy finally frees lets even smaller enterprises play.
(All big enterprises were small enterprises at some point..)

    103> Q.  What about IPv6 addresses for uses which will not be
    103> connected to the Internet at all?

    103> A. Folks are welcome to get non-multihomed addresses for any
    103> purpose whatsoever. If they do eventually decide to connect
    103> to the Internet, the routes will follow whatever rules the
    103> ISPs have imposed for routes within the single-homed pools.

thank you.

] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
	               then sign the petition.