[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 103: Change IPv6 Allocation Process

Davis, Terry L terry.l.davis at boeing.com
Mon Nov 16 15:03:20 EST 2009

Steve

I like it also.  One of our biggest problems is that we simply do not have enough really large scale IPv6 deployments around the globe to begin to understand all the problems or to come up with better migration/integration plans between v4 and v6.  This should spur more use IPv6; as it is today, not even the green field startups are using v6 and this should tell us something about our current assumptions and policies.

In retrospect, by not having a seamless, easy to use method, of allowing v4 to v6 communications, we have made deploying v6 very costly; migrating our millions of v4 based apps to v6 comes with both a huge price tag for opening and dual-stacking them and a corresponding "risk" factor for business continuity associated with that work.

Take care
Terry