[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 102: Reduce and Simplify IPv4 Initial Allocations

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 10 18:04:16 EST 2009

On Nov 10, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> Seth Mattinen wrote:
>>>
>>> Having recently has a glimpse into the world snowshoe I have a
>>> different
>>> view. There is so much space being "rented" right now it's not even
>>> funny. A huge amount of it sits around idle so it will "clean up".
>>> I can
>>> get multiple /18's and up with a phone call and enough money. We
>>> don't
>>> have to wait for runout, these guys will be ready and willing to
>>> sell
>>> addresses to a brand new market when the time comes.
>>>
>> If your right and the hoarders flood the market with IPv4 once the
>> RIR's
>> run out, then so be it - I guarantee that if what they do causes a
>> problem, the ARIN community will shut it down.  That's the problem
>> with designing a business plan around hoarding - it's going to
>> be tolerated only as long as you don't make a nuisance of yourself.
>
> That's the fun thing I learned. They're borrowing space from people
> who have a surplus for a fee. Normally this surplus should be
> returned to ARIN especially since we're all panicky about IPv4
> runout, right? Wrong.
>
> This is a bit OT, but here's what I know. Mr. W needs some address
> space at his colo. He can't qualify via the colo's rules or ARIN's.
> Mr. X calls himself an IP broker. All he does is arrange people that
> have spare IP space with people who need some IP space for whatever
> reason. Let's say me the ISP has an /18 that's unused. Mr. X will
> give me $Y to borrow that /18 for Z amount of time. He will turn
> around and tell Mr. W that he can advertise that /18 at his colo for
> $Y+markup. One of my friends who does consulting somehow got
> involved with Mr. X and started to see dollar signs. It took me
> several weeks of being totally confused to get behind the curtain
> and tell everyone I wasn't interested in letting other people
> reannounce my space outside of my AS.
>
> Wasn't there a policy to encourage return of resources? I don't
> remember. ARIN would have to find these orgs who are renting their
> space out to brokers and revoke it somehow to put a stop to it.

I strongly encourage ANYONE who encounters such an arrangement to report
it to ARIN.  Organizations who are leasing their space in this manner
could
well be subject to a review under section 12 of the NRPM.

ARIN can't resolve what it does not know about.

This should be done through:

https://www.arin.net/resources/fraud/

By submitting a report at:

https://www.arin.net/public/fraud/index.xhtml

Be as specific as possible, and, try to identify the organization and
the IP addresses in question.

Owen