[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Mon Nov 2 19:17:34 EST 2009

Scott Leibrand wrote:
> So I take it you consider the existing ULA's "statistical uniqueness)
> be sufficient?  One thing I've heard a small amount of support for is
> have RIRs register unique addresses that are intended to be used for
> private addressing, and assign them out of a range dedicated for that
> purpose.  I'm not sure if that's necessary, myself, but I'm open to
> arguments from anyone who thinks so.

For many organizations the risks associated with 'statistical' are
unacceptable, either based on bad experiences with IPv4 mergers, or based on
interpretation of regulatory requirements to mitigate such risks. The
original ULA-C work was tabled due to lack of PI policy, so it looked like
an end-run around the RIR policy framework. Now that PI policy is in place
it is time to complete that part of the story. I have resurrected the effort
with the draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01.txt .

Rather than focus on the process of managing that space, for the moment I
just want to get the technical requirements clearly established. If ARIN (or
any RIR) chooses not to participate in the allocation of this space, that is
a separable policy discussion for another day. Until the ULA-C space is
clearly allocated to IANA, that discussion can't reasonably happen.

Tony