[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 53, Issue 5

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Mon Nov 2 16:54:27 EST 2009

he.net's Owen DeLong wrote:
> ... in IPv4, NAT is a necessary evil which is tolerated because
> of the serious shortage of IPv4 addresses.

That is the one of the opinions not supported by the facts.  You may not
have been around before NAT Owen, but those of us who were had no problem
getting address space.  We still assigned illegal addresses because there
was no business case for allowing internal networks to be publically
routable.

But I do understand where you are coming from, a large ISP who will
monitize its IPv4 address space in the event of an IPv4 shortage.

> However, in IPv6, that shortage is not present and therefore,
> NAT moves from being a necessary evil to an UNnecessary evil.

Amazing how network engineers can insist that real world managers, with
real world issues, do not have a valid need for NAT.  I wonder if he.net's
Board of Directors concurs?

Roger Marquis