[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon Nov 2 11:54:38 EST 2009

NAT started out as a kludgy local workaround and will always pretty much be
a local workaround. NAT is nothing more than a silly router trick.
Administrators can do whatever they darn well please within their own
networks.  NAT affects only the internal operation of a network.  NAT does
not affect global routing one iota.  There is no information passed to the
world that allows the far end to de-obfuscate NAT, except perhaps machine
identifiers sent as a proprietary attribute.

Just because NAT is not "built in" to the IPv6 protocols does not mean it
can or will not be done.

I do not think we should or even have the ability to do something like
outlawing NAT.  If an administrator decides he wants to NAT he is going to
be able to do it no matter what any of us say or do unless you are going to
get all of the major players to rip NAT code out of all of the router OS's
and server OS's. Even then people will just patch it back in if they want
it.  Discussions about whether to allow or proscribe NAT are pointless.  NAT
is not within the ARIN sphere of influence.