[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

Lee Howard spiffnolee at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 2 09:53:23 EST 2009

----- Original Message ----

Yes, I make that argument.

> If not for #5, IPv6 would have a much easier time getting past the
> "worthy enough to deploy" barrier.

I disagree with you.  I think there's a larger population who have been
hearing about IPv6 for so long that they've decided it will never
happen (or who are otherwise ignorant of IPv6), and the only way to
convince them that networks will use IPv6 is if networks use IPv6.

Otherwise, nobody will know if IPv6 is working until IPv4
connectivity is shut off, which is a little late to find out.

> Of course, that pendulum could swing the other way too. When whatever
> happens post-depletion settles out into a routine, the risk-cost of
> continuing with only IPv4 could go way down.

It sounds like you've done your research and built your contingency
plans.  Maybe you've only done engineering, and not systems work.
If everyone waits until we achieve a steady state, then it will take
years to achieve a stable, reliable Internet.

Lee