[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Sat May 30 22:43:40 EDT 2009

Garry Dolley wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 02:58:13PM -0700, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>

>> Really there shouldn't even *be* a distinction. If you need a /whatever of
>> IPv6 and can write a convincing letter to that effect, you should be able
>> to get at least that much unique IPv6 space. Whether it can be routed now
>> or in the future is really between you and whichever transit provider you
>> choose *should you even need external connectivity*.
>>

> It is not only between you and the transit provider.  It is also
> between you and all the networks / network operators that
> collectively make up the Internet.
No. There may be issues between my transit provider and their transit
provider and/or peers, but that's one of the things I pay them for.
> If I'm going to carry your
> prefix in my routing table and the resources of my routing table are
> finite, and more routing table resources often costs me a
> appreciable amount of additional money (money out of my pocket, not
> yours), then I have a say in whether you get a "/whatever"
> allocation just b/c you wrote a convincing letter.

You can carry whatever routes you want in your own routers, subject of
course to any agreements you might have with peers.
> This is why we are discussing the policy proposal ;)

This is also where we get into the part where you're asking ARIN to act
not just as a registrar of unique addresses, but instead to also enforce
your idea of who should have routeable addresses on the global Internet
you are part of.

Which really shouldn't be any of ARIN's business, any more than the
folks who hand out MAC addresses get to decide what color box the
ethernet cards come in.

Matthew Kaufman