[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Garry Dolley gdolley at arpnetworks.com
Sat May 30 21:09:36 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 12:45:57AM +0000, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 05:00:38PM -0700, Garry Dolley wrote:

> > > 	i'm sorry - this smacks of shear laziness.
> > > 	trying to get ARIN to manage your routing table
> > > 	is kind of like asking your mom to still do your
> > > 	laundry.
> >
> > Researching every /32 to see if it is worthy of being in your
> > routing table is not practical.  It is not a laziness issue.
>
> 	your telling me what is practical for me to do?
> 	very kind of you indeed.

I did not mean you personally.

> 	however i beg to disagree - i ensure that i have the
> 	specifics i know i want and then proxy aggregate most
> 	everything else.  there are even a few prefixes for which
> 	i -never- want to see traffic from and I block them.
>
> 	i'd posit that most folks do something very similar.

This model doesn't work for me, and I would imagine most ISPs.

> > > 	no one is -forcing- you to accept any route whatsoever.
> > > 	your router, your choice.
> >
> > Yes, but practically speaking, I can accept all /32's or none of
> > them, with a little wiggle room with filters.
>
> 	i can't tell you what is practical for you.
>
> > I can set up filters, sure, but anyone running a multi-homed network
> > with real customers, peers, and traffic knows that maintaining
> > filters that actually work well is almost a lesson in futility.
>
> 	routing has not been "fire and forget" for many years.
> 	if you don't pay attention, your going to get burned.
>
> > > 	do the thought experiment... how many /32s are there in
> > > 	the IPv6 universe?  Got a router for that?  Didn't think so.
> > >
> > > 	Folk are going to have to face the fact that they can't
> > > 	depend on their benevolent RIR to manage the potential size
> > > 	of the routing table anymore...
> >
> > But what we can do is try to promote policy that doesn't give out
> > prefixes like they are going out of style.  Every /32 prefix
> > assigned and announced takes up one more RIB slot for me and every
> > other ISP on the planet.  So, I'm going to do what I can to save
> > that resource.
>
> 	borrowing your metaphor, I'd like to see one family of
> 	prefixes come into style... and if that means treating them
> 	like loss-leaders for a bit, then I guess that is what needs
> 	to happen.  Then, we can start worrying about them going
> 	out of style.
>
> 	I'll reiterate again.  Just becauase I get a /32 and announce
> 	it to my peers, is zero reason for you to hold it (at all,
> 	or for any length of time, or in perpetutity).   Folks
> 	really need to wean themsleves of the dependency on an RIR
> 	to craft their routing policies.

I'm not asking for the RIR to craft routing policies, even if the
policy does help / hurt routing.  I'm asking for a /32 not to be a
default assignment without any restrictions.

--
Garry Dolley
ARP Networks, Inc. | http://www.arpnetworks.com | (818) 206-0181